Sunday, 15 June 2014

Book Review || Better Than Chocolate (LIfe in Icicle Falls - Book 1) By Sheila Roberts

Hello All,

Now you may or may not know but I am a free woman now, finished uni for the year and am only working at weekends. So I am finding myself with a lot of free time on my hands and without a major hobby I have decided to read more. So get ready for plenty more book reviews coming your way. 

This book was actually a free gift on iTunes, you know that app they do around Christmas time, well on there. I was pretty sceptical at first I'd never heard of the reader or the series of books. But I have finally picked up my iPad and started it. I'll give you a bit of an overview of the story and plot then let you in on  my views. 

Sweet Dreams Chocolate Company has been in the Sterling family for generations, ever since Great-Grandma Rose literally dreamed up her first fabulous recipe. But now it looks as if they're about to lose Sweet Dreams to the bank-and that would be a disaster, not only for the family but for the Town of Icicle Falls, Washington. Can Samantha, the oldest daughter and new head of the company, come up with a way to save it? After Samantha does some brainstorming with her mother and sisters, Inspiration strikes. They'll have a chocolate festival! Time's running out, but the Sterling women are determined and the town's behind them, so everything's bound to go smoothly .....

Or not. Events seem to be conspiring against Samantha, and her mother's attempts to help aren't helping. To make matters worse, the fate of her company is in the hands of her archenemy, Blake Preston, the bank manager with the football-hero good looks. It's enough to drive her to chocolate. But Blake's also enough to convince her that (believe it or not) there's something even better than chocolate. 

This really was a great-feel good read. The main character, Samantha, isn't going through the best time in her life, with the family business going to pot, but the journey the book takes you on to the happy ending is what makes it good. The book exhumes community spirit and values as the whole town of Icicle Falls rally around Samantha to help her. 

I loved the majority of characters in the book and getting to know them was a pleasure. Samantha was a strong female character, however she came with her faults which the book did exploit. She would quickly pass the blame of her situation onto others. Specifically Blake Preston, who I actually rather liked. Blake is a great guy and my heart went out to him something, Samantha was so nasty to him. He was like her whipping post, the poor fella. And the grand gesture he does for her in the end, which I love! 

I also rather enjoyed Samantha's sisters their personalities shone throughout the book, and their possible love interests. I am really looking forward to read more about them soon. Really, there were quite a few possible love matches in the town that I am looking forward to reading more about. 

While I enjoyed the book, I was not blown away by it. I liked it, and I would like to read more books in the series, but I am not going to make it no.1 priority of mine any time soon. Anyway if you are after a book that will make you smile and feel good, you should definitely check this one out ! 

Lots of Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment